Sprinkler system douses potentially ‘dangerous’ kitchen fire

 - 
Tuesday, October 29, 2013

PORTLAND, Maine—A residential sprinkler system helped extinguish a kitchen fire here Oct. 25 as the building’s fire alarm system alerted local firefighters.

Firefighters put out the Weymouth Street blaze and only one building resident went to the hospital with minor injuries, according to The Portland Daily Sun.

“This could have been a very dangerous fire had it not been for the sprinkler and fire alarm system,” said Portland Fire Department Deputy Chief David Jackson, in a prepared statement. “The systems worked exactly as they should have, the residents did what they were supposed to, and we had a less serious outcome here."