Wiring Solutions gets big in OK City
OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla.--Just 16 months after its last move, into a 8,000-square-foot space, Wiring Solutions is moving again, into a 13,000-square-foot building that abuts Interstate 35 and is now, the company believes, that largest security-related location in the state.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“WeÃ¢â‚¬â„¢re going to have several thousand square feet for a showroom,Ã¢â‚¬Â said Wiring Solutions owner Matt Petering, who started the company out of his garage 13 years ago. Ã¢â‚¬Å“Our goal is to have one spot where any large customer can lay their hands on any piece of cutting-edge security technology.Ã¢â‚¬Â He said Honeywell, Speco, Extreme CCTV and Rainbow have all already sent display products along.
With nearly 200,000 cars passing the building daily and heÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s going to put up a digital billboard with real-time footage from a Rainbow PTZ monitoring the traffic flow.
The move to a new location was driven by the companyÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s growth, Petering said, which has come from commercial and government work, and has occurred despite a large drop-off in residential work, because of a stagnant builder market. Ã¢â‚¬Å“Residential is about 30 percent of our business,Ã¢â‚¬Â he said, Ã¢â‚¬Å“whereas, if you asked that a year ago, IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢d have said 60 percent. I had 118 homebuilders at our peak, and thatÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s maybe 25 or 30 now. A lot of companies that are completely dependent on the homebuilders are coming to ask us for jobs now. It makes me feel good, but itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s also scary.Ã¢â‚¬Â
He began his company after wiring his own home. Ã¢â‚¬Å“My builder liked what he saw,Ã¢â‚¬Â Petering said, Ã¢â‚¬Å“and he had me wire his own house. Then it turned into a side job. I thought I could make a few hundred a month with it. Now itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s a multi-million-dollar company.Ã¢â‚¬Â
He moved into security not long after hiring operations manager Jason Allen, who had security experience, and security installation now accounts for about 80 percent of his business, with the other 20 percent taken up with fire and telecom installation.