N.C. mandates CO detectors in certain hotel rooms

 - 
Wednesday, December 11, 2013

BOONE, N.C.—The North Carolina legislature recently passed a measure requiring hotels to install carbon monoxide detectors in rooms with a fuel-burning source, or in rooms adjacent to such a source, according to a recent news story.

Formed when fuels burn incompletely, carbon monoxide from a pool heater was blamed for the deaths of three people earlier this year at a Best Western hotel in this town.

The Watauga Democrat reported that the North Carolina General Assembly voted in 2011 to require carbon monoxide detectors in newly constructed residences with fuel-burning heaters or appliances, fireplaces or attached garages, and in homes that install or replace fuel-burning devices. The same body voted in 2010 to require the detectors in all rental properties using fuels that produce carbon monoxide.