College rats saved

Brief
SSN Staff  - 
Wednesday, February 1, 2006

DURHAM, N.H.--A sprinkler system spared more than 100 lab rats in late December when a fire broke out at Conant Hall, the oldest academic building at the University of New Hampshire, the Portsmouth Herald reported.
The fire started in a ceiling light fixture in the building, which is used as an animal research facility. The sprinkler system extinguished the fire before anyone in the building was aware of the fire, the newspaper said.