The Right Response

SSN Staff  - 
Sunday, June 1, 2003

Each month Security Systems News will feature in this column a story where a security or life safety system did its job to save a life or property. To have your story considered, send an email to editor@securitysystemsnews.com with details.
Alarm alerts authorities to renovation fire
CARNEYS POINT, N.J. - A fire alarm monitored by Guardian Protection Services in Pittsburgh saved a home here from fire after fumes from a home renovation project ignited a trash container.

After a layer of finish was sanded off a hardwood floor in the kitchen, the polyurethane dust was dumped into a plastic- lined trash container underneath a granite countertop. The mixing of the two chemicals caused a reaction and a fire ignited.

A husband and wife were about one half hour from their home when they were contacted by a family member, who said that Guardian had called to report the fire.

According to the couple, the local fire chief said the house would have been a total loss if not for the monitored smoke alarm. The only damage sustained was to the cabinet.