Skip to Content

News Poll: Industry making mental health a priority

News Poll: Industry making mental health a priority

News Poll: Industry making mental health a priority

YARMOUTH, Maine—During Security Systems News’ first-ever virtual SecurityNext conference in February – toward the end of the “What End Users Want” panel – the topic of mental health came up, spurring some important discussion around an area that is often overlooked.

For many who have been forced to work remotely this past year during COVID, it has been even more difficult to find that work-life balance. The goal of this month’s News Poll is to get the discussion going on this increasingly important topic.

Looking big picture to see if companies are addressing mental health, especially this past year, 64 percent of respondents said “yes,” with only 27 percent saying “no” and just 9 percent noting that they were “not sure.”

One respondent noted, “Our company has a great wellness and healthcare program that focuses on mental well-being and health as a core value.”

Another noted, “Our Wellness Program team launched a 2-Week Daily stress management program that taught methods to balance life and manage stress. Highly recommend finding a similar program and learn techniques to mentally calm your body and mind.”

While many respondents work for companies that are addressing the topic of mental health and wellness head-on, not all respondents shared the same rosy experience.

As one respondent pointed out, “Company efforts on mental health would be somewhere between lip service and half measures.”

When asked — Do you find it more difficult to achieve a work-life balance? – 63 percent related to this question, with 18 percent saying “yes” and 45 percent saying “somewhat.” Interestingly, 36 percent are not having any trouble maintaining that balance.

One of the most positive findings from the news poll is that all respondents have made an effort to take better care of their mental health this past year, with 80 percent saying “yes,” and the remaining 20 percent saying “somewhat.”

“People think balance looks the same every day; it doesn't,” one respondent astutely pointed out. “I've been remote for 15 years and raised kids in that time. I had to learn that balance changes day-to-day.  Some days you're working late in your home office; some days you leave early to take a kid to practice.  People get caught up thinking balance means creating boundaries that don't get crossed, and that isn't possible in a remote work environment.”

Another respondent offered some sage advice that can benefit us all.

“I stopped watching the cable news channels ‘constant negative news and full of excrement,’ and I'm a much happier person.”


To comment on this post, please log in to your account or set up an account now.