Skip to Content

Tag: carbon monoxide

Fire Systems Installation

CO poisonings in two states may lead to expanded detector requirements

March 12, 2014Tess Nacelewicz

YARMOUTH, Maine—Calls to expand mandates for carbon monoxide detectors in commercial buildings in New York and Maine have resulted from recent cases in those states of poisonings by the deadly gas—one of them fatal. Fire alarm companies in both states told Security Systems News they support expansion of state CO laws and gave suggestions on cost effective ways businesses could add detectors. On Feb. 22 in a Long Island, N.Y. mall, 26 people were sickened at a Legal Sea Foods restaurant...

Bob Williams, Briscoe Protective, carbon monoxide, Maine Burglar & Fire Alarm Association, Protection Professionals, Rich Brobst Jr.

Read Full Articlered right arrow icon

Fire Systems Installation

North Carolina may pass CO legislation after hotel poisonings

July 10, 2013Tess Nacelewicz

ST. CHARLES, Ill.—Several recent deaths caused by carbon monoxide poisoning in a North Carolina hotel room may lead to a law in that state requiring CO detectors in lodging places. Currently, 40 states have laws mandating the installation of CO devices, but most of those laws pertain to homes and multi-family residences, said David George, director of marketing communications for System Sensor. Based here, that company makes fire detection and notification devices, including carbon monoxide...

Best Western, carbon monoxide, Charlotte Observer, David George, Honeywell

Read Full Articlered right arrow icon

This Blog's on Fire (And Other Stuff)

North Carolina hotel room a CO deathtrap?

June 12, 2013Tess Nacelewicz

North Carolina requires carbon monoxide detectors in homes and apartments, but not in hotels. Now, some tragic deaths in a hotel room in Boone, N.C. make a compelling argument for a CO detector mandate for hotels. First, an elderly couple died in April in room 225 in the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza, according to news reports. Then, on Saturday, an 11-year-old boy was found dead in the same room, reports say. Blood tests show that the April deaths were due to CO poisoning, according to...

carbon monoxide, CO, Honeywell

Read Full Articlered right arrow icon

Also Noted

Carbon monoxide bill advances in California

March 27, 2013SSN Staff

SACRAMENTO, Calif.—A bill that would require all newer public and private K-12 schools to install carbon monoxide detectors has advanced in the California Assembly, according to an article from the San Diego Union-Tribune. The Assembly Education Committee unanimously approved the bill March 20, sending it to the Appropriations Committee, according to the report, which noted that a cost estimate has not yet been prepared. Assembly Bill 56, which is being shepherded by Assemblywoman Shirley Weber,...

California, carbon monoxide, Shirley Weber, The Assembly Education Committee

Read Full Articlered right arrow icon

Fire Systems Installation

More states looking at requiring CO detectors in schools

March 20, 2013Tess Nacelewicz

SILVER SPRING, Md.—A carbon monoxide leak at a school in Georgia in December sent more than 50 students and staff to the hospital—and the Security Industry Association says it also has drawn attention nationwide to the need for CO detectors in schools.“I really think the CO incident at the Atlanta school this last December really sparked a lot of attention among the states to begin taking this issue seriously,” said Elizabeth Hunger, manager of government relations for SIA,...

carbon monoxide, Marcus Dunn

Read Full Articlered right arrow icon

This Blog's on Fire (And Other Stuff)

Prevent CO poisoning: Alarm companies should help Californians help themselves

July 25, 2012Tess Nacelewicz

It's now more than a year since California's new law mandating carbon monoxide detectors in all single-family homes with an attached garage or fossil fuel source. However, a new survey shows many residents remain unprotected. Seems to me there's a marketing opportunity here that alarm companies would do well to take advantage of—to not only help themselves but also California residents. It's true that the new law, which took effect July 1, 2011, doesn't require Californians to opt for monitored...

California Alarm Association, California Safe Homes Coalition. UTC Climate, California State Firefighters’ Association, carbon monoxide, Controls & Security, John Hopper, Kevin Nida, Kidde, Security Systems News (SSN), Tyra Lynn

Read Full Articlered right arrow icon

Fire Systems Installation

New CO law business, learning opportunity

August 11, 2011Tess Nacelewicz

MARINA DEL REY, Calif.—California recently became the 35th state in the nation with carbon monoxide legislation. As of July 1, all existing single-family homes with an attached garage or a fossil fuel source are required to install CO alarms within the home. Previous legislation already mandated the detectors in new homes. The law is a way for the industry both to increase business and its knowledge and expertise regarding the devices, according to John Hopper, president of the California Alarm...

CAA, California Alarm Association, carbon monoxide, CO alarms, CO detectors, CO law, John Hopper, Sentry Alarm Systems of America, Tim Tracy

Read Full Articlered right arrow icon

Fire Systems Installation

Survey: Many in N.Y. unaware of new CO law

May 5, 2011Tess Nacelewicz

MEBANE, N.C.—About a year after a new carbon monoxide detector mandate in New York went into effect, a new survey has found that nearly half of New York families still don't know about the law, according to Kidde, a manufacturer of fire and CO safety products based here. Amanda's Law, which requires working CO detectors in all one- and two-family homes that have appliances or heating sources that may emit CO or have attached garages, went into effect just over a year ago. But a new survey conducted...

Amanda's Law, Andy Lowitt, carbon monoxide, CO detector, David George, Kidde, Lowitt Alarms, United Technologies Corporation, UTC Fire & Security

Read Full Articlered right arrow icon